Friday 16 October 2009

Best of the West (Bank!)

Today the intrepid ISMers went to several different villages to offer our unique brand of protection and labour the the local farmers. I along with 3 other internationals went east to the village of Beit Dajan. The morning was already hot as we set out at 7.00 and caught a taxi to the village where we met our contact. After coffee at his house we walked for about 20 mins and then climbed a bloody big hill, I must admit I was blowing a bit by the time we reached the top. A lifetimes dedication to smoking and drinking took its toll but I was only a minute or two behind the kids so not too bad.

The view from the top was staggering, imagine the Lake District without greenery or lakes or rivers and with watchtowers and settlements and you are somewhere near to where we were today.

They were expecting some shinannigans as they didnt hve permission to pick today but in the end there wasnt any problems. But was exceptional was the family. For al start they were all men and boys, not a woman or a girl in the picking party. The Grandfather and his two sons, and their kids in total about 11 of them were just so close and had so much fun, the banter the practical jokes were non stop. The two dads larked along with their kids and the sound of laughter was constant throughout the day.Along with copious amounts of food. The three youngest lads, I guess age range from 9 to about 13 were the dogsbodies, they fetched and carried all day long with not a grumble or a moan between them. When we were fed they waited until the adults had finished and ate what was left. The youngest in particular had the cheekiest face I have ever seen and reminded so much of one of my nephews. Everything he said the adults creased with laughter and I did too even though I couldnt understand a word.

At the end of the day we went back to the families house and they fed us again. The house filled with love and laughter, communication was basic but it was clear that this family were so close and in my small experience one of the best of the west!

On a sadder not we have just heard reports of a couple of internationals being injured in an RTA on the outskirts of Nablus. It isnt any of the ISMers but other groups we dont know yet.

Its another early start in the morning so i am off the sort me shit out!

Ta ta

2 comments:

  1. JD, Does all this exercise mean when you return you will be a fitter person and give you a push to maintain it? I can imagine a 5k run sponsored...

    I am really enjoying reading about your trip and experiences, i am looking forward to hearing more when you return safely.

    Stay safe

    LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leigh, I am definately fitter and a tad slimmer I think, will I keep it up? Who knows? Thanks for following the blog, I have enjoyed doing it though it may cause me a prob or two on exit! Keep reading to find out.....da da da dat dahhhhhhh

    ReplyDelete