Sunday 11 October 2009

Further explanation of previous post

I have just re read my post on provocation retaliation etc...and I think I need to explain a little more about the religous background for anyone unfamiliar with the significance of the religious sites in the old city in Jerusalem. Now I am a definate lay person when it comes to this but this is my understanding and I do stand to be corrected by anyone with a greater understanding.

The 3 main religions in Jerusalem, Christianity, Islam and Judaism share a very small space and there are 3 sites that are important for all 3 religions, the church of holy sepulchar for Christians, the Wailing Wall for Jews which is the other side of the wall to the Temple Mount, Al Aqsa compound for Muslims. The Dome of the Rock, the third most important site for Muslims is also a Holy site for the Jews. This is the site which the Israeli Govt is considering giving Jewish access exclusively for 50 days a year. It is this that is causing the contstenation. Its like, and this is a bad analogy,Liverpool fans being excluded from Anfield because Evertonians have the power to exclude them. I told you it was a bad analogy!

Anyway we have just got back from the sheep herding and have been told that settlers not far from here have cut down a number of olive trees belonging to Palestinians. It is too dark to go now so we shall visit the site and document tomorrow morning first thing.

I must go now as food is re.....ta ta

2 comments:

  1. hey mate just booted kids off Pc to catch up with your exploits..not sure of you rRL interest but leeds bt st helens in grand final not a fan of either side , great game , yorks bt lancs say no more..loved the analogy fo r someone like me who has no knowledge of religious differnces etc.. out there it made sense..i wont tell th ewelsh lads here youve been at close quarters to the sheep ..theyll only get jealous ..any how off fo rme tea now take it easy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nick, you can tell the Welsh guys that the sheeps here are far more exotic, or so an expert told me!!!! I will be back next week and it would be good to catch up over a beer

    ReplyDelete