Thursday 15 October 2009

Workers fighting for their rights

Firefighters in South Yorkshire are set to take strike action tomorrow in defence of their conditions of service, after their employers issued redundancy notices to unilaterally change shift patterns. What has this got to do with a blog from the Occupied Territories? Well today across the West Bank Public Sector employees are striking to....defend their conditions of service. There is a really good news website http://www.maannews.net/eng/Default.aspx with more details. But what if people needed more evidence of the links between working people wherever they are in struggle then this is one more.

Today I have a little time to sort some personal admin out in the city so I will take the opportunity to try and find picket lines and offer solidarity and support from the FBU. Last night I was out with the guys from the station as it was my birthday and they invited me to drink coffee with them, they also surprised me by having the biggest birthday cake I have seen over here and a few of the ISMers came along too, it was a wonderful couple of hours and the firefighters from Nablus send their solidarity to South Yorkshire members in their struggle, so if any FBU official is reading this can you please pass on to Jerry or Ian, ta.

I had one more surprise last night, when I got back to the apartment the other internationals had also got me a birthday cake and stood around and sang me happy birthday which was really great, the different accents and languages made it so special.So thanks comrades. I dont think I have ever had two cakes on one birthday before!I also spoke to my brother Steve who is following my Palestinian blog and he said some kind words so thanks kid and have a great time in Barca this weekend.

Right, I am off to the city to find a picket line and to do some other admin tasks.Hopefully the villages we are covering today will be trouble free and the Palestinians can continue their harvest and the ISMers can come back and finish off a bloody great cake!

Ta ta

No comments:

Post a Comment