Saturday 24 October 2009

Nablus in London

Well, I am back in the UK after a 36 hour trip which included the famous security checks and interrogation at the airport in Tel Aviv. I have to say that it was less rigorous than the last time I went through the airport. I left the apartment in Nablus at 10 am on Wednesday and as I walked through the city to the Service station it was with great sadness that I was leaving. I had said my goodbyes to the fantastic internationals I had been living and working with for the last month and i am sure we will see each other again at some point in the future. I have said it before but it is worth saying again, their determination, passion for justice and energy make me confident that there the next generation can make a huge difference and the left is in good hands if these wonderful people continue as they are doing, thanks comrades and keep up the fantastic work you are all doing, you are making a positive difference to the lives of Palestinians. Also the sadness at the fantastic Palestinians I had met and became friends with. Thier email addresses and contact details have been mailed back but due to the CWU strike it may take a while to get to me. But that is a small price to pay for the battle that postal workers are involved in for all of us, so keep strong posties!

The crossing at Qaliquilya took about 30 minutes which wasnt too bad, though to have to factor this into your day every time you cross into East Jerusalem can only be imagined how shit it is for Palestinians. So from the other side of the wall I made my way to the hostel where it all started 1 month earlier, dumped my rucksack and went to the post office to send back all the memory cards, contact details etc etc because if the Israelies find these at the airport it could mean big trouble for any Palestinians whose details they find and also for the ISMers. There has been anumber of ISMers labeled "enemy of the state of Israel" recently and this obviously means that they will not be allowed to enter Palestine again.

I had a few hours to kill in Al Quds, which I spent walking around the old city and taking pics to have at least something on my camera that would point to the 1 month "holiday" I had taken in Israel if questioned by the immigration police at the airport. I also had a beer! the first in a month and it didnt touch the sides so I had another one near to Damascus gate. It was alot less tense than the last time I was there to sort the visas for the Nablus firefighters. I went back to the hostel and had a good natter with an Argentinian and a Polish guy about footie, it tunred out the Argentinian was in the army during the Falklands but didnt get sent to the Malvinas so we had that in common, because I was in the British Army at the same time but was in Germany.

Eventually the time came for my Nesher to the airport and I got there around 1.15 for a 4.30 flight. 6 security checks later and I was sat on the plane with an empty seat next to me! So with a bit of room to spread out I promptly fell asleep. Got to Amsterdam on time and had 6 hours to kill, which went really bloody slowly and then the plane to Bristol was delayed but only by 20 mins. Tim met me at Bristol and took me up to his house for an hour or so to see his kids which was great. His lad, Billy wants to send his footie magazines to the refugee camp in Ramallah for the kids to use in their English lessons, good lad Billster!

I then went to Frome to see Trace and Georgia which was great, they had been so supportive whilst I had been away.

I was due to move into my new flat today but that has been postponed until tomorrow because the firefighters from Nablus are staying in London tonight so I have been invited along with John M, Big Kev and Dave C, so the flat can wait! The Nablus gang dont know I am going so it should be a big surprise for them.

I am still thinking about the whole experience of my month with ISM but there are 3 conclusions I have come to, these are:
  1. The work of ISM needs to be publicised and individuals encouraged to work with this group.
  2. The BDS campaign has to be effectively organised and carried out with individuals, organisations and politicians, this is what Paestinians see as the key to self determination.
  3. Spreading the real stories from Palestine as a way of educating people whose main source of information is the right wing media and Israeli propoganda spouted in the press.

I will be putting more meat on the bones of these ideas in the coming days, and who knows maybe another blog will be started.

So thanks for reading this and if you do anything this weekend make sure you Boycott Israeli goods and services!

2 comments:

  1. Dear John,
    I am writing primarily to thank you for the wee scribbles (since you admitted you're not a journalist) that you've been sending every now & then. You managed to take me back to Palestine even though for a few moments whenever I got the chance to read them. I was particularly amused by your swearing moments..!!

    I am a Palestinian who only managed to visit Palestine for he first time, nearly 10 years ago, after becoming a British citizen. I have squeezed as many trips since, as if making up for lost time with a lover. What causes deep pain is the other Palestinians (not so blessed with a western citizenship) left behind every time we take (my family) a group of volunteers/ internationals for a visit.

    I never made it at the olive picking season yet, so you can detect a level of jealousy in my virtual voice..!! but it should be now included in one of our next visits... our last visit was in July and we made this modest movie about it.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdGbSsjSxwI

    You've touched two raw nerves in your last posting...
    1. Uprooting of olive trees... Back in 2003, I read a report estimating 125,000 of them being uprooted.. If you know how we are brought up with the love of land and what it produces as Palestinian children (even though in exile), you would understand how I wept for a week after that..! That summer I managed to visit Palestine once again... I have walked from the outskirts of Nablus to Jayyous village (about 5 hours) during which period all I saw as far as the eyes can see, hill after hill of olive trees. In Jayyous, I shared the pain of farmers whose trees were, shortly earlier, uprooted to allow the building of the horrific wall, taking not only 70% of the village's agricultural land behind it, but also 7 water wells.

    2. This brings me to the second point... the theft of natural resources... water being the most important, but also others... your Palestinian pal was not far from the truth when you asked him about an imaginary scenario of oil discovery... if not oil, it's natural gas.
    Please have a look at the sources below, it may help shed more light at the brutality of what happens / will continue to happen in Gaza.

    http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=11680
    or

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/3643848/Gaza-doesnt-need-aid-it-has-a-2bn-gas-field.html

    Sorry this is getting longer than intended. Thank you again and well done to FBU, who always stood by our cause (before it was fashionable to do so). We still have a long way to go though.
    Also thanks to Kevin who has religiously been forwarding your messages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you
    from all the Palestinian mothers.

    ReplyDelete