Sunday 11 October 2009

Remarkable things in Susiya

In one of my first posts I said that I had to keep reminding myself that not all Israelis were zionist toss pots, ok I am paraphrasing myself there. But this morning whilst out tending the sheeps we saw the good and bad of Israel. First 2 squaddies from the IOF came down and said that a temporary excusion order had been granted and that the Palestinians could not graze their sheep there. No big surprise, nothing out of the ordinary, this happens with amazing regularity, of course they could not produce any papers showing this or give me the name of the officer who had given the order, all they could say was that they were "obeying orders" which had a sinister feel to it!

After the early morning shenanigans we went to eat and drink tea with the family and whilst we were there an Israeli family visited and sat and talked to the family, these Israelis were from the other side of the Green Line and visited regularly, I asked why and they said because these are our neighbours. There was no problems the Israeli were not part of any group or organisation just neighbours passing time with other farmers, it was remarkable to me. The Palestinina family were the epitomy of hospitality and kindness and likewise the Israeli was kind in return. A marked diufference fromthe settlers and the IOF but it does show that people can live together in peace, once the extremeists are sorted.

We had a visit from another group from the US, Canada and Holland and again they made reference to the decision at the TUC and about how effective did the Palestinians think this was, to a person the Palestinians were very pleased that the British TUC had taken this decison and backed it all the way. Again a decision taken in Liverpool having an impact on a small village inthe Southern Hebron Hills.

I had a touch of the "backyard galloppers" this morning and thought I had finally been beaten by the infamous "bug of susiya" but things have settled down and I am hoping that it was just a blip/ Hygiene here is basic by Palestinian standards and most ISMers who come to Susiya end up with dicky guts for a few days.

Got the England result last night and also the Danes in ISM are celebrating going to South Africa after an immense 1-0 victory over Sweden!

Anyway off to listen to Tony Benn before the afternoon grazing, he is not here but he is on me iPod....ta ta

No comments:

Post a Comment